- This event has passed.
Massage for People Living With Cancer
July 28, 2017 @ 8:00 am - July 30, 2017 @ 5:00 pm$500.00
Registration Deadline: 14 July 2017
Maximum Registrants: 18
*12 primary MTANS CEUs
*11 category “A” CEUS (CMTNB Approved) New Brunswick
Course Details: Comfort-oriented massage or touch can be safely administered to cancer patients regardless of the severity of their condition. The purpose of this class is to present information and provides experience for massage therapists who wish to work with clients who have been diagnosed with cancer or are recovering from it. The culminating activity of the class will be to give a relaxation massage to someone with a history of cancer.
1. To increase participants’ comfort-level with regard to massaging people with cancer
2. To introduce participants to the basics of the metastatic process 3. To present restrictions regarding massage for people who have undergone surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy
4. To provide supervised, hands-on practice.
5. To model and practice the gathering of health history from the person affected
6. Analysis of case histories.
7. To provide massage experience with people who have been diagnosed with cancer or are recovering from it.
Prerequisites: Completion of a professional massage training program; or a current license to practice massage; or approval of the instructor.
MacDonald, Gayle. Medicine Hands: Massage Therapy for People with Cancer, 3nd Ed., Findhorn Press, 2014.
Medicine Hands: Massage Therapy for People with Cancer, 3rd Ed.—Chapters 4, 5. Recommended — Chapters 7 and 8.
What to Bring:
• Sheets or bath towels for practice massage (1 set)
• Sheets or bath towels for client session (1 set)
• Face cradle covers
• Light-weight, clean blanket
• 2 pillows per person and 4 pillow case covers
• Massage oil in pump or squeeze bottle or massage wax
• Journaling materials
• Note-taking materials
1. 100% attendance and participation unless approved by instructor ahead of time. Make-up work will be assigned that is commensurate with the material missed.
2. Demonstrates the ability to perform comfort-oriented massage on a client with cancer or recovering from it.
3. Completion of 10-item exit quiz that reviews highlights from the curriculum.
About the Instructor
Gayle MacDonald, MS, LMT, is the author of Medicine Hands: Massage Therapy for People with Cancer, 3rd Ed. (2014, Findhorn Press) and Massage for the Hospital Patient and Medically Frail Client (2005, Lippincott Williams and Wilkin). My original expertise comes from massage with oncology patients at Oregon Health and Science University in Portland, Oregon. Since 1994 I have taught and supervised massage therapists on the oncology medical/surgical in-patient units, in the chemo infusion clinics, radiation oncology, apheresis and the bone marrow transplant unit. It has been my incredible good fortune to share and exchange knowledge with therapists around the United States, Scotland, Australia, Ireland, Sweden, and Holland. I am a founding member of the Society for Oncology Massage and the Iris Cancer Partnership in Scotland, as well as being the creator of the Oncology Massage Healing Summit and Oncology Massage Education Associates. The creation of and involvement with communities is one of the things that make my heart sing. The other deep desire is the support of therapists and teachers in finding their work in the world.
Registration form: ANBMT website under main menu bar Forms/Course Registration Forms